Hello! This is my page on Neocities, a site that combines all the DIY charm and Web 1.0 simplicity of GeoCities without all the ads.
I'm not a "technology bad, future bad, everything that isn't how I remember it from decades ago is bad" kind of guy. I'm active on more modern flavours of Internet too. But I think the rush to embrace the novelty of social media and the fashion for fancier, more technically advanced websites has its downsides, and one of them is Web 1.0 sites going out of fashion. There's something said for properly marrying form to function, and not every page needs to load a bunch of scripts and cookies and whatnot. Sometimes, you just want a site which has a bunch of documents linked together with hypertext and which isn't hooked into a system designed to generate feedback loops of commentary and dogpiling.
In classic "Web 1.0 kid who just signed up for Geocities" style, I don't have an immediate overarching plan for what I am going to do with this, but for the time being it's going to be a handy link page pointing at my other stuff.
Links To My Other Content
Hobby and Fandom Blogs
The blogging bug bit me comparatively late in life, but I got into writing articles about my thoughts on a range of different subjects back when I was writing for the now-shuttered Ferretbrain site. These days my long-form articles tend to appear on one of three different blogs.
- Refereeing & Reflection. This is dedicated primarily to tabletop RPGs, with the odd dip into wargaming, solo gamebooks, and LARPing.
- Fake Geek Boy. Largely reviews of books, videogames, movies, comics, and the occasional music article. This is where all my old Ferretbrain writing went unless it was on a Refereeing & Reflection-esque topic.
- Nothin' Means Nothin'! This is my blog about professional wrestling. Still working out an approach to writing about it, at the moment I am concentrating on reviews of live shows written as I watch them.
- If you like chatting with people online about the above subjects, I have a Discord server, the Fake Geek Fun Pit, associated with the above.
Social Media and Contact Stuff
- The Web 1.0 way to contact people should come first: you can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You saw the Discord server link above, right?
- If you want to keep up with updates to this page, I'll try to make sure to keep an up-to-date RSS feed.